Just Like Eik

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"I don't care too much for money...

...money can't buy me love."**

I would like to preface this post with the fact that I am not, by any means, a feminist. To be honest, I like the idea of having males around and have no problem with asking my boyfriend to change the oil in my Blazer or help install my air conditioner, and I don't mind doing his laundry if I am there doing my own laundry. Still, I like to think of myself as relatively self-sufficient and successful and like the fact that I have a great job that (for my first job out of college) pays fairly well. All of this taken together should point to the fact that I shouldn't be bothered by what I am currently bothered by.

My boyfriend just bought a new pickup. Why does this bother me? Because he just bought it. He decided on Saturday that he wanted a new pickup, called the guy he was going to get it from on Monday and said he wanted it, and wrote a check that day. Didn't take out a loan, didn't check his finances, didn't even sell his old pickup to cover costs. Just bought it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like knowing that he has money enough to cover things like that; hving his own business definitely helps--I've seen the paperwork from said business and I know how much he charges and brings in at a time. But I am struggling with the fact that he is so much better off than I am financially. Not that I am not financially sound, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of where I am. Granted, a lot of his money is tied to the business, but he has sole say of what money goes from the business to his bank account, so they are one in the same.

Is it normal to be uneasy about being with someone who has more money than you?

**Editor's note: Despite the presence of the l-word in the title, the bf and I haven't not exchanged "I love yous." We currently "like eachother more than anyone else in the world." And yup, that's a direct quote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home