Just Like Eik

Monday, April 06, 2009

"What'cha gonna do...

...what'cha gonna do when they come for you. Bad boys, bad boys."

Sometimes I lament working in the basement of the courthouse. I have no real windows to speak of, few people come down here, and it is almost always cold. However, there are days that I truly do enjoy it down here, if even for a brief moment. Today, I was offered a glimpse into why I like the basement on occassion.

The reason: I work across from the Sheriff's Department. For the 1st six months of this job, this meant nothing as the sheriff was never in nor was the deputy and I never saw the city cop. However, we got a new sheriff and deputy and they are in the office now. Bonus number 1: the deputy is kinda cute (but married with kids). Bonus number 2: the deputy's kids come in sometimes and I entertain them with Play-doh and K'nex. Bonus number 3: the sheriff and deputy spend time at the office, so I actually get company on occassion--this is a neat concept to me. And this bonus (the 3rd one) leads me to why I enjoyed today.

The Highway Department has an office based out of Kadoka, therefore the hi-po occassionally brings people in for breaking laws in my wonderful county. Today was one such day. I heard the Courthouse door open and, since I am finding it hard to concentrate today, I looked over. I found a sight that always makes my heart race a little--a person being brought in in handcuffs. Background: we have court-day every other Thursday and I have seen numerous people brought in not only in handcuffs, but in shackles and chains. So this was no uncommon occurence, but it still kinda freaks me out, because I have no real good way of escape if it comes down to it. Anyway, I saw this guy in handcuffs followed by his mother and what I assumed was a grandfather...or lawyer. I immediately turned down the volume on my iHome so I could hear what went down.

Okay...so it wasn't that exciting. The kid didn't have a driver's license and got pulled over for going 80 in a 65. But the part that got me was the mom's laid-back attitude towards the whole thing. She laughed throughout the time they spent filling out paperwork and, as she exited the Sheriff's Office, called "Have a great day" to the hi-po and deputy sheriff. I love when things go well at the Sheriff's Office. I also get a sick joy out of finding out why people get brought in. Crazy? Maybe...but Kadoka is a little slow-paced, so I gotta get entertainment where I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home